Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us


In this Section:

+ Why insure your horse?

After buying a home or a car, a horse can be one of the most expensive purchases that many people make. Many of us protect our homes and cars with insurance so why should a horse be any different? According to Neal King, former president of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, vet’s fees are increasing at around 11% year on year. Could you afford to pay your horse’s vet’s bill if it ran into hundreds, or even thousands of pounds? Many of us couldn’t, which is why it makes sense to protect yourself should the unexpected happen, with good quality horse insurance.

+ What insurance do you need?

For most owners, insurance for death, theft and legal liability is important. In addition to this with the rising cost of veterinary fees many owners choose more comprehensive policies which cover all of the above and more.

+ Is my horse too old or too young to insure?

Our horse policy covers a foal from 31 days old onwards.  However there is no cover for illness or disease in horses over the age of 20.

+ What vet certificates do I need to take out insurance for my horse or pony?

This depends on the sum insured value of the horse and the level of cover you choose. We do reserve the right to request sight of a vetting certificate at any value, should we feel this is necessary. A vet’s certificate may also be required during the claims process.

+ Do I need to get the insurance company's agreement before my horse is destroyed?

Many owners and vets assume that the insurance company must be contacted to give their permission before a horse is destroyed by a vet. This is not always necessary. Strict guidelines are issued to vets by a governing body, the British Equine Veterinary Association (BEVA). A statement issued by BEVA in July 2006, with regard to the destruction of horses, offers vets the following advice on when immediate destruction is justified and when an insurance company should be notified.

For immediate destruction they state: “That the insured horse sustains an injury or manifests an illness or disease that is so severe as to warrant immediate destruction to relieve incurable and excessive pain and that no other options of treatment are available to that horse at that time. If immediate destruction cannot be justified then the attending veterinary surgeon should provide effective first aid treatment before: i) Requesting that the insurance company be contacted or, failing that ii) Arranging for a second opinion from another veterinary surgeon.”

This means that if a vet feels that a horse should be destroyed on immediate humane grounds, they should not delay proceedings by contacting the insurance company. In all other circumstances, your vet must notify the insurer that destruction may be necessary.

+ Are there any time limits on when I can make a death claim?

  1. Any claim as a result of an injury that happened or illness that first showed clinical signs before your horse’s insurance started.
  2. Any claim as a result of an illness that initially shows clinical signs within the first 14 days of your horse’s insurance starting.
  3. Any claim for the loss of the horse over 365 days from the onset of the condition.
  4. If over 20 and death due to illness.

+ What if my horse were to die under anaesthesia?

You will be covered for claims should your horse die under anaesthesia as long as the anaesthesia was necessary and your insurance company was notified unless the surgery was an emergency.

+ Will the insurance company want to see the body?

No. We will, however, require a post-mortem examination to be conducted to confirm the cause of death.

+ What do I have to do if my horse is missing?

You must tell the police as soon as you discover your horse has been stolen or is missing and obtain a Crime Reference Number. Once this has been done the crime reference number and details need passing to the insurance company. You must do everything possible to recover your horse.

+ What does permanent loss of use actually mean?

‘Permanent’ means forever. Permanent loss of use therefore means the insured horse can never again be used for any one of the activities you have insured it for.

+ Within what period must I claim?

We ask for claim forms to be returned to us within 90 days of the onset of the loss or condition.

+ Why can it take so long to pay a permanent loss of use claim?

Assessing a claim for permanent loss of use can be a lengthy process as it is not always obvious if the horse will be able to compete or participate in the disciplines it was insured for. Discussion will take place between your vet and the insurance company in this regard. In addition to this the insurance company may wish to appoint their consultant vet for their advice.

+ How long can I claim for?

Claims for treatment given for an injury or illness provide cover for up to 365 days from the onset of the claimed condition or up to the maximum recoverable.

+ What is a third party?

The first party is the policyholder, the second party is the insurance company and the third party is anyone else who has been injured or whose property has been damaged as the result of the acts or omissions of the insured.

+ What should I do if anything happens that could result in a third party claim against me?

Most importantly you should not admit any responsibility, agree to pay a claim or negotiate with any other person after any incident. You should contact your insurance company and allow them to take charge of your claim. You must send them any writ, summons or legal documents you receive and allow them to act and reply on your behalf.

+ Will the insurance company pay if my horse is ridden by someone else?

As long as you have given permission to the person riding the horse and they are aged between 5-75 years, cover will be provided.

+ I have an existing medical condition. Will this affect my ability to claim?

You are obliged to advise the insurance company of any physical or mental conditions that you have which might affect your policy. The insurer will advise you at the time you take out your policy how your condition might affect a claim.

+ How do I need to protect my saddlery and tack?

When not in use, saddlery and tack must be kept in a locked building that is totally enclosed and secure. It must be a permanent, substantial structure of brick, stone or timber, with doors secured by 5-lever mortise deadlocks and windows secured by patent window locks. Your saddlery and tack can be stored either at your home address or at the stables, provided the room has the correct security.

+ Will an insurance company pay for wear and tear?

No, wear and tear will not be covered.

+ What is an excess?

An excess is your contribution to the costs.

Why Choose Us?

  • Pick and Choose policies - only pay for what you want!
  • 20% introductory discount for new policies
  • Additional 5% multi-horse discount*
*when you insure more than one horse Get A Quote

Horse Care & Tips

Various aspects relating to horse care, guidance and important information.

Find out more...

Need Assistance?

Our team is here to help find the right insurance package for you & your Horse.

Find out more...

Contact Us

If you cannot find the answer to your query in our help section, feel free to call us. All calls are charged at your standard rate.


Tel: 03300 241 580
Fax: 03300 242 971
Hours: Mon to Fri 8am-7:00pm | Sat 8:30am-5pm |
Sun - Closed | Bank Holidays - Closed |
Christmas & Boxing Day - Closed


Tel: 03300 241 603
Fax: 03300 242 971
Hours: Mon to Fri 8am-5:30pm | Sat 9am-12pm

Customer Services:

Tel: 03300 241 606
Fax: 03300 242 971
Hours: Mon to Fri 8am-7:00pm | Sat 8:30am-5pm |
Sun - Closed | Bank Holidays - Closed |
Christmas & Boxing Day - Closed

By Post:
Thorpe Underwood Estate
YO26 9SS
Please wait, we are processing your quote now