Dettori ‘ashamed’ of cocaine ban
Jockey Frankie Dettori has for the first time admitted he was banned for taking cocaine last year and said he is "ashamed and embarrassed" of himself.
The rider was given a six-month ban after testing positive at Longchamp in France last September, however, it had not been confirmed what substance he had taken until now.
Ahead of his expected return to action on Monday (May 20th), the jockey told Channel 4 News that he took the drug in a "moment of weakness".
The Italian will be a freelance rider this season for the first time in 18 years after splitting with the Godolphin racing team last year.
He said the embarrassment of telling his children why he had been suspended led to a "very difficult time".
The star continued by stating: "[I] paid a very big price. I spent six months not doing the thing that I love – racing."
Various aspects relating to horse care, guidance and important information.Find out more...
Our team is here to help find the right insurance package for you & your Horse.Find out more...